Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Hi, my name is Smith, his name is Daniel and we are Basketballholics.

Basketballholic - that's the new term I just coined and that's us.

We spent too much time following, thinking, reading, arguing, discussing and watching NBA. We take it a level higher, we have decided to write about NBA.

I wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan as I am bad with the history of the game but there is one thing you can't scrutinize about us and basketball is the love for the game.  


It's the off season and I ain't happy cause that means less real basketball action but lots of irrelevant PR and media talk about movement of players. The biggest talk in town of this off season has to be silly DH12 and how every team is trying to get him on board.

Picture Credit: Ryan Hurst.
Don't get me wrong, I am no hater of Dwight. Like every other Lakers fan I was all thrilled when super team of Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Howard came together. No doubt he was battling injuries and adjusting to a new system/teammates and still managed to put up some numbers of 17.1 PPG, 12.4 RPG and 2.4 BPG. Argumentably still the best center in the league but are all these necessary?





I know we have all went through the pain of watching star players walking out of teams like Shaq or "The One" - LBJ but I really don't see the need of such campaigns. We ain't getting votes for president here and moreover it's LA we are talking about. We are winners and we are a team of high prestige and I really don't see how "lowering" ourselves for this is going to help the team. It seems like to me that we are begging players to play for us which is weird, we are talking about LA here and not (insert whichever team that you really hate.)

Also on free agency and also a center, we have Nikola Pekovic.

He is younger. His numbers are a little short as compared to Dwight but I think he is an amazing player. He has a team which spent most of their time on the injury list but yet his productivity is awesome! I don't see people doing campaigning for him and in fact because of all this campaign and "cheapening" our own franchise, I don't even think we can attract him to LA as a free agent. You can stand by Dwight and call me an "ungrateful" LA fan but I don't think he have met the basic requirement of a great big in LA. It's only 1st year no doubt but if he ain't giving himself a 2nd year to prove himself worthy, I will rather let him go and pick up players like Pekovic. 

NBA is pretty much more of a sports entertainment these days than just being a sport. I am just glad we ain't heading to WWE's direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment